Bits of history:
“Brenta, an almost-borough of the city of Venice, place of delight for the Venetian Nobles” has always been closely linked to the development and life of the city of Doges: annexed to the Republic of Venice in the fifteenth century, sumptuous buildings with parks and gardens sprung up thereafter.
During the Renaissance, Baroque and Neoclassical periods, the Riviera was at its best: the families of the Venetian aristocracy gathered there, famous people stayed there, kings, princes, statesmen, writers, poets and renowned Italian and European artists.
Held in high esteem by the Venetian government, as an addition to the lagoon city, it was first described by Father Vincenzo Coronelli (cosmographer of the Serenissima – 1709) and then by the architect and painter Gian Francesco Costa in 1750 and 1756; it was represented by famous painters, such as Antonio Canal (known as Canaletto), by his nephew Bernardo Bellotto (also nicknamed Canaletto) and Francesco Guardi; it was celebrated in verse by renowned poets (Dante, Byron, D’Annunzio); and was told of by writers (Edith Warton, Andre Mauriel, Arthur Huxley) and also described in the “letture da viaggio,” the first tourist brochure of the Brenta Riviera, published in 1909 by the Società Veneta Ferrovie after the electrification of the PaduaFusina tramway.
In this context, “coming from the turn outside the old doors of Mira, after the bend in the road, flanked by the small station of the decommissioned tramway, the green mass of the Villa Olanda Park, its latenineteenth-century building is fenced within the wrought iron gates “., Prior to this, it was the site of Villa Foscarini: represented by Costa, indicated in the drawing by Pietro Lucchesi entitled “Isole Foscarine,” and registered in the Napoleonic Cadastre land register as the “Rental house of Marco Foscarini” (taken from: “Monumentalità della Riviera del Brenta “ by Marco Guiotto, Edizioni Signum, Padova, 1983)
Villa Olanda, which faces the canal and was built in 1899 by then owner Ferruccio Fioravanti based on the design by engineer Venanzio Guerci di Alessandria, is an integral part of the artistic and architectural heritage that delighted the first Venetian nobles and then became the subject of tourist and cultural interest for those travelers who, while going to parks and villas, want to know, stay at and feel part of the beautiful scenery that was the radiant frame to parties, events and water processions that have so animated the “Brenta,” making it a natural extension of the Grand Canal of Venice.